LI - Historic - Presentation Cover - bla

PROJECT HISTORY

Laurel Island History

The Laurel Island Site has a robust history, notably serving as the Rumney Distillery in the 1790’s, leading to its main access point of “Rumney Street”. It later served as the Armory for the State of South Carolina, containing gun powder magazines, officers quarters, and barracks during the Civil War, before becoming a dredge disposal site and eventually the Romney and Holston Landfills in the 1970s. The landfills ceased operating in the 1980s and were purchased by the current owners in 2003.

Pages from 02252020 - Historic Charlesto